Friday, April 01, 2011

Skillet Cabbage

I can't wait to taste a fresh grown cabbage from my garden. They are coming along but not half as fast as I want them to. I want to say "poof" and there be cabbage.  But I guess I'll have to wait for that home grown taste.

Till then I thought I'd share a long time family favorite. This recipe is what I had as a child back home. My dad doesn't like chicken (so we didn't have too many chicken meals back home unless I requested it, he says he had to eat too many of them as a child LOL) so we had lots of meals with pork or beef. But now that I have my own family to cook for we use deer meat.

Skillet Cabbage

1 lb ground deer
1 onion, diced
1 cabbage, shredded
1 can of rotel (or half if you don't like things too spicy)
1 can of stewed tomatoes
1/4 c. shredded white cheddar for topping

Brown deer meat and onion together in skillet. Chop cabbage and add to the top of deer meat, pour rotel and stewed tomatoes over cabbage. Stir carefully. Let cook slow, stirring often. When cabbage is done top with cheese.Serve with steamed broccoli and carrots for a beautiful colorful meal.

No comments: