Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Oatmeal of any kind

Like I said last Saturday, we LOVE oatmeal. It is a must in this house. So I thought I'd share with you how I fix my oatmeal.  This recipe is inspired by Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats. You can pretty much add anything you like to this oatmeal. So if you regularly add cherries or raisins you still can. This recipe serves around 2 to 3 people depending on how much you serve.

Oatmeal 101

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup water
1 T. plain yogurt (with active cultures)
1 cup water
1/4 cup raisins or other dried fruit
1/4 t. vanilla (added to help with the tartness of the plain yogurt)

In a glass bowl add together the oatmeal, 1 cup of water and 1 T. yogurt. Mix together and set in a warm, not hot, oven for 12 to 24 hours. I usually mix mine up before I go to bed and then continue with the recipe in the morning.

In the morning, add 1 more cup of water to your pot. Add the oatmeal mixture too. If you are adding raisins or any other dried fruit add them now to help them plump up. Cook 10 minutes or until thick and done. Stir in vanilla and any other seasonings you'd like. Viola! Soaked Oatmeal! Serve with fruit and Blueberry Goodness for a yummy well balanced breakfast.

No comments: