Friday, March 11, 2011

Healthy Sloppy Joes! YUM!

Okay those two words together seem pretty funny to me I don't know about anyone else....Healthy and  Sloppy? Hm. Maybe I'm weird, wait I am so that's okay, right?

Healthy Sloppy Joes
1 lb ground meat (turkey, chicken, deer, etc)
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
8 oz organic tomato sauce
1/2 c. organic ketchup
3 T. sucanat (or brown sugar)
1 T. soy sauce
Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns, toasted

Add ground meat, onoin, and garlic to skillet. Cook over medium heat until meat is done. Drain if needed. Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, sucanat, and soy sauce, mix well. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stir occasionally. Spoon 1/2 c. mixture onto each bun. (I love to toast my buns with cheese on it, so its nice and soft. I got that from my mom, thanks mom!)

You can also let the meat mixture cool and then freeze in freezer bag. Attach or throw in the hamburger buns too! Yep, they freeze very well. Just warm them up as directed above.

No comments: